FC3 Security

Pat Pleate rosebwl2 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 16:55:35 UTC 2005

The point is this:
1. Common courtesy needs to be used by everyone.
2. One should ask before leaping and assuming.

Additionally:

--- Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org> wrote:
> Except in this case, the local IT department has
> placed a stop sign
> in the middle of a straight, empty stretch of four
> lane highway
> with no intersection or any thing else around for
> twenty miles.

Much like I-94 is a tollway through Illinois but a
freeway through Wisconsin.  Illinois chooses to stop
the drivers to pay for the road usage, so does the IT
dept. here has the right to patrol the usage in their
domain/house/etc.  I don't have a problem with that.

> They are just spouting policy without good reason
> and demonstrating
> either extreme ignorance (shhd = server) or
> duplicity.

I'm sure the policies were setup accordingly due to
similar situations arose in the past.  They have the
right, and probably for good reasons.

> They can only get away with this where their
> management is not technical
> or their management is more interested in building
> an empire then
> providing service.

When a person doesn't want to take responsibility for
their own actions and don't want to extend common
courtesy, that's just as much to blame.  Everybody
wants to blame someone else, instead of finding the
facts, learning to follow the rules/protocols, and
working together.  Instead, certain persons continue
to be self-centered/important and feel that they can
do whatever they want.

Yes, this will always be an US vs. THEM situation, and
no one wants to give in.

I will take responsibility of my actions and say I'm
sorry that this list was used for this off-topic
discussion.

Have a great day.