etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten with blank file upon boot.

Nat Gross natgross.rentalsystems at verizon.net
Wed Mar 9 18:59:55 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

> jludwig wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 01:04 pm, Nat Gross wrote:
>>
>>> Hi;
>>> I recently changed my stations to NOT use dhcp (as well as the Linksys
>>> router) and everything is fine and dandy.
>>> EXCEPT, that upon every re-boot, the etc/resolv.conf which has my isp's
>>> dns's, gets overwritten with a blank file, and my web programs cease to
>>> operate. The resolv.conf sitting in etc/sysconfig/networking.... is ok,
>>> and I just copy it over to etc/resolv.conf.
>>> Which program is doing this, and how do I tell it to stop.
>>>
>>> Thank you;
>>> -nat
>>> ps. While I was using dhcp, the router was also supplying the
>>> nameservers, so I didn't need /etc/resolv.conf.
>>

> You o need /etc/resolv.conf, DHCP or not. That's what the resolver
> library looks at to find the appropriate DNS services. Without it,
> you only have the items in /etc/hosts.

When I install a fresh FC3, with DHCP, I do not need to enter my isp's
nameservers, anywhere. The system gets the dns info from the same router
thats doing dhcp. (Why they tied these 2 functions, I don't know.)

>> You could chattr the file to immutable, and this should cause some
>> sort of errer message.
>

> The way to prevent DHCP from overwriting /etc/resolv.conf is to set
> "PEERDNS=no" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx (see the
> stuff around line 288 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup).

(It took me a while to test this, since I had to reboot a station.)
The PEERDNS=no did NOT solve the problem.