SLOW portmapper startup (when using NIS)

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Wed Mar 9 20:18:35 UTC 2005

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

> Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> I think it does, but I *want* "nis files". See my reply to the other
>> reply ;-)
>

> First, you should try if "files nis" fixes the problem.

OK, I was being lazy, and right now I don't have access to any of the
machines in question, but I think we've tried it in the past and found
that removes the delay - but like I said, it doesn't really solve the
problem because we want nis first.

> You could have two nsswitch files.
>
> Modify the startup scripts so that "files nis" are used first during
> boot, and modify /etc/init.d/ypbind so that nsswitch.conf is overwritten
> with a "nis files" version after NIS has been started.

> But this is a hack. I would always have "files nis".

Yes that would be a hack, but not because "files nis" is always right;
actually "nis files" or any other combination should just work, and
what's right depends on the user account policy and layout of the
system. That's why this is configurable, isn't it?

- T