Access Point problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 10 01:52:36 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> 	|Claude Jones wrote:
>     	|I see that more explanation is necessary. I do know that
> in theory the access 	|point and my LAN are on two different
> networks. My Linux box is both router and 	|DHCP controller.
>

> 	||Ah!  That's a help.  One thing...does the Linux box have
> two NICs in it?
> 	||If so, what are they and what IP addresses do you have
> on them?
>
> 	Two NICS: eth0 is WAN 209.249.226.25  	eth1 is LAN
> 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0
>
> Bad diagram: Laptop via wireless---> AccessPoint ----> inside NIC
> on Linux box ---> Routed by Linux to outside NIC which is on
> broadband direct to the internet.
>
> Question: If my laptop is getting a 192.168.2.1-255 subnet address
> via DHCP from the Linux machine, and the Linux Lan is set to
> 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.000, how is it that the AP which,
> presumably is assigned to a different subnet able to pass traffic?
> This is what I don't understand.

If it's set up as an access point with an open ESSID and no WEP key,
then it simply takes stuff off the air and rebroadcasts it over its LAN
connection.  Conversely, any traffic on the LAN connection gets
broadcast over the wireless.  So, it works, but it ain't secure by any
stretch of the imagination.

> 	|In theory the Access Point is supposed to be
> 192.168.0.50.
>

> 	||All D-Link access points -------- discourse on D-LINK
>
> 	SNIP: Info mostly already known, but suggestions noted and
> will be taken.
>

>       ||Well, you could run something like this:
>
> Suggested Script: I haven't run this yet. I want to see what you
> might say to these clarifications.
>
> 	||A drawing, perhaps?
>
>                        -----------          --------      --------
> WAN (Internet)<-->eth1| Linux Box |eth0<-->| Switch |<-->| Laptop
> |
>                       |  (router) |     ^   --------      --------
>                        -----------      |       |         ------
>                                         |       |<------>| WAP  |
>                                         |       |         ------
>                               192.168.2.0/24--->|         ------
>                                                 |<------>| Host |
>                                                           ------
>

> 	||Does that sort of look like what you're trying to do?
> 	|No. There's no switch. More like this:
>

>                        -----------          --------      --------
> WAN (Internet)<-->eth0| Linux Box |eth1<-->| WAP    |<-->| Laptop
> |
>                       |  (router) |     ^   --------      --------
>                        -----------      |
>                               192.168.2.0/24
>

> Pardon this mangled reply. I got tangled beween a couple of
> computers and lost your original post.

No problem.  I get what you're saying.  Your AP is acting exactly as
an AP should--as a link between wireless and a wired LAN.

Now, as for managing it, you can get on your Linux box and:

	route add net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth1

That adds a route for your Linux box that will send traffic for the
192.168.0/24 network out via eth1.  If you haven't changed the AP's
set up, you should then be able to http://192.168.0.50 and get to
the AP's GUI management interface.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -