fc3 total size after current update

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 10 02:13:55 UTC 2005

Ben Stringer wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 17:50 -0800, Barry Yu wrote:
>
>>My fc3 is installed with everything during installation, as of now it is
>>100% updated. When checking all system folders I found the result
>>is quite surprised to ;
>>
>>/var       1.4 gb
>>/usr         7.2 gb
>>
>>Is this normal? My partition of 10 gb holding fc3 is now only left with
>>900 mb as remaining.
>

> Hi Barry,
>
> All the updates you have applied will most likely still be spooled
> in /var/cache/yum. You can remove the RPM files in here to clear up some
> space.

And that's done by "yum clean all".

As far as /usr is concerned, you can get an idea as to what's sucking
up what by "du -hs /usr/*".  I'd expect directories such as /usr/lib,
/usr/bin and /usr/sbin to be fairly large.  /usr/share/doc can get to
be "friggin' huge" too (that's where rpm stuffs most of the doc files).
-     "Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?"     -