fc3, sendmail, and dovecot problems revisited

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Thu Mar 10 14:44:32 UTC 2005

> I don't know how the Zoom modem handles the port forwarding, that is,
> whether it relies strictly on learned MAC address or IP, and how long is
> it's ARP cache timeout.  We use a combination of shell scripts, ping and
> ifconfig with IP address aliasing for redundant MRTG machines.
>
> You might look into some of the High Availability (HA) techniques for
> linux.  That is, if you are looking for redundancy and not load sharing.
> Load sharing through port forwarding (virtual servers) might get a
> little complicated and would probably be best served with a second DSL
> line and dedicated address.  Then let DNS handle it.
>
> Bob...

Hi Bob and Alexander,

Yes, I'm actually receiving and sending this mail from 10.0.0.12(the 2nd
server) that I was having problems with. Although, yes I got it to work
by creating more ports in Zoom's Virtual Server confuration but it's not
really the way to go...was just something that worked.

I want to start a new thread and am hoping y'all will input.
Bob, I'm gonna copy/paste  your mini lecture here to the new thread,
because it deals w/exacty what I want to do.

thx both of you for your help

John Rose

--
You ever notice the expression on your neighbor's face when you start
talking about linux?