Creating shortcuts

Nat Gross natgross.rentalsystems at verizon.net
Thu Mar 10 18:18:33 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Nat Gross wrote:

<snip>

>> 2. re: shortcuts. How do I get my link to display the true path? I
>> have a symlink to /usr/share/xxx. When I browse this (also at a
>> terminal prompt) , it shows the path as
>> "/home/nat/Desktop/theLinkName", but many times I prefer to have it
>> show the true path, "/usr/share/xxx".
>

> Re: appearance on the desktop; no idea (I never create shortcuts on
> the desktop myself - just out of habit rather than because I think
> it's a bad thing to do [which I don't]). At the terminal prompt, if
> you use the "-L" option to "ls", it'll show you details of the file
> being linked to rather than the details of the link itself.
>
> Paul.

I meant something else. If you cd into the link, or if you click on the
link from a file browser,  although the link target is indeed displayed,
the path displayed in the browser (or as part of the PROMPT in terminal)
is the link name, not the real target path.
(Desktop was just an example. This is true regardless of location.)
[By the way, this is not a high-priority question. Just a quickie, if
possible.]
Ta
-nat