processor fan runs forever {CLOSED}

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 18:30:18 UTC 2005

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Whoa, no kidding.  Running a modern day processor without a fan (even for a
> few minutes) is asking for trouble, IMO.

For what it's worth, I have a new Athlon 64 system. The 3200+ processor
is on 90nm technology and is rated for 2 GHz. I have Cool'n'Quiet
enabled, which drops the speed to 1 GHz and drops the voltage when the
CPU load is low enough to justify this. And I have a motherboard that
measures processor temperature, and will cut fan speed if the processor
is cool enough.

I've come home several times during the cold snap and noticed the CPU
fan motionless and the heatsink stone-cold (and the room's not
particularly cold). A quick
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null
gets it going again.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Face" on Mars proves to be optical illusion --
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | NASA now investigating "vase" on Mars.