What goes in /etc/hosts?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 20:16:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 14:21, Nat Gross wrote:

> So, if I understand it correctly, .local is just an agreed upon
> protocol. It's NOT something that *any* software translates to meaning
> 'the local lan'. I might just as well use kitchen.homearea.kerrybush,
> floor.homearea.kerrybush. (Why kerrybush? Sure to be unique! :-) )
> By the way, can't I [in most cases]  just get away with short names for
> a local lan?
> Thanks;
> -nat

I have used .lan for local TLD.  I have also found it useful to use
things like servername.abc.lan as the FQDN format.  You do need to use
masquerade techniques for email when doing this since such a FQDN is not
known outside of the local lan.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

When you jump for joy, beware that no-one moves the ground from beneath
your feet.
		-- Stanislaw Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"