What goes in /etc/hosts?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Mar 10 21:13:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 12:02 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:

> When you say append .local, is that referring to all machines on the
> local net, or only to this one local host. In other words, for the other
> hosts on the lan, do I also need to append .local?

    ...for the local net, yeah.  If you put both names in /etc/hosts
it'll work the way you think, and the way you want:

    192.168.1.5   router.local router
    192.168.1.10  mybox.local  mybox

               (and so on)

    This is something understood by the collection of machines involved;
it can be anything. ".local" could easily be ".shoehorn" just as long as
every machine knows about it. ".local" just keeps it straight, for me.

Ever notice that blue states have more taxes, higher cost of living,
more pollution and violent deaths and more unhappy people?  Why is that?
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller