EMERGENCY - need to secure my server against an ongoing SPAMMER

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 11 11:41:43 UTC 2005

Bob Brennan wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:06:13 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
>
>>Bob Brennan wrote:

>>>FEATURE('relay_entire_domain')
>>>HACK('popauth')
>>>...none of which worked for *me* in my continuing struggle to find a
>>>secure way to let my users use a remote MUA
>>>...both commented out for now, as well as removed all domains in the
>>>"Relay Domains" (Webmin again) file
>>
>>No real clues there, need to see a qf file as mentioned last time.
>

> Sorry - could you explain "qf" file?

The files in /var/spool/mqueue (and now also /var/spool/mqueue.spam)
begin with either "qf" or "df" (queue file or data file). There should
be one of each for each email. The rest of the filename is made up from
sendmail's queue tag for that message, which also appears in
/var/log/maillog.

I want to see what's in one of the "qf" files for one of the spam emails.

>>>"Timeout error occured trying to start MySQL Deamon"
>>>"Starting MySQL    [FAILED]
>>>... having to do with the "subsys locked" problem above I believe -
>>>but how to fix that?
>>
>>Doesn't "service msqld stop" clear the "subsys locked" error?
>

> no - start, stop, restart, nothing works

Try removing the lock file manually:

# rm /var/lock/subsys/mysqld

This is probably a symptom of the problem rather than being the problem
itself though.

Paul.