CD-Rom Problems

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Mar 11 16:50:10 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 11.03.2005 schrieb karl larsen um 17:31:

>     I want to say thanks to Alex Dalloz who is a true Linux Expert. And
> he gives of his time to tell us what we need to know. I think, from what
> he told me is that Fedora Core 2 and up do not use the old kernel
> command to make all common IDE cd-rom drives appear to be scusi. This is
> news to me.
>
> karl

Hello Karl,

thank you for the roses :)

Yes, you did understand me right, that with FC2 and shipping a 2.6
kernel the ide-scsi emulation is obsolete. And as Paul pointed truly out
the FC2 release notes explicitly mention that.

Please let me comment one last thing. Karl, in your previous reply
saying the cdrecord.conf change fixed your CD burning problem you too
said "I'm not worried about security, I'm worried about making
cd-rom's." I really hope this only expressed your priority! From your
mail header I can see that you are mailing with Thunderbird on X11, so I
guess you are running your Fedora Core 2 system connected to the net.
This means you of course should always care much about security. And the
Linux kernel is indeed a very important part of your system. So please
update the kernel when a bug fixing update release is out. Let us Linux
users not only be happier using our OS than Windows® users *smile* - but
too more careful regarding system security handling. There are
unfortunately too many unintended honeypots out there in computerland
wild life.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:40:51 up 1 day, 21:52, load average: 0.40, 0.51, 0.44