Fedora Core 3 and MySql

a a lacadaemon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 18:39:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:12:46 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> a a wrote:
> >>You did not follow the instructions carefully enough.
> >>
> >>Changing directory to /etc/init.d and running "mysql" is not the same as
> >>running "mysql" because the "current directory" is not in
> >>root's path. So you have run /usr/bin/mysql instead of /etc/init.d/mysql
> >>
> >>If you want to run something in the current directory, be explicit about it:
> >>
> >># ./mysql start
> >>
> >>This stops the search of directories in your path and runs the file from
> >>the current directory (".").
> >>
> >>Paul.
> >

> > Thankyou I have learnt something of linux here.
> >
> > But when I looked in /etc/init.d/ the file 'mysql' does not exist,
> > although I found the file 'mysqld'  which I then started and then went
> > to check the services:
> >
> > [root at spr1-derb3-3-0-cust203 ~]# /etc/init.d/mysqld start
> > Initializing MySQL database:                               [  OK  ]
> > Starting MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
>
> I think that was a typo in the original instructions, which should have
> read "/etc/init.d/mysqld start" instead of "/etc/init.d/mysql start"
>
> Unless, that is, those instructions referred to a differently-packaged
> version of mysql that had an initscript called "mysql"...
>
> > [root at spr1-derb3-3-0-cust203 ~]# chkconfig --list
> > mysqld          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
> >
> > Is it correct that the service reports all OFF?
>
> This means that the mysql server is not configured to start
> automatically at boot time.
>
> Use "/sbin/service mysqld status" to see if it's currently running.
>
> Use "/sbin/chkconfig mysqld on" to have mysqld start automatically at
> boot time.
>
> Paul.

[root at spr1-derb3-3-0-cust203 ~]# /sbin/service mysqld status
mysqld (pid 5856) is running...
[root at spr1-derb3-3-0-cust203 ~]# /sbin/chkconfig mysqld on
[root at spr1-derb3-3-0-cust203 ~]# chkconfig --list
mysqld          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

thank you! is the '/sbin/chkconfig mysqld on' command line the same as
entering mysqld in preferences>more preferences>sessions>startup
programs?