EMERGENCY - need to secure my server against an ongoing SPAMMER

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Mar 13 01:11:40 UTC 2005

To check for root kits, you could download and unpack chkrootkit then
runin the directory chkrootkit makes the command make sense <cr> After the
make gets done, type chkrootkit -q >chkrootkit.log <cr> Then less
chkrootkit.log will tell you about any rootkit co mpromises that were
found on your machine.  You got to be roo and off line to make and run.
Why it is bastille didn't download chkrootkit and compile it for you I
don't know.  Security hardening packages not only need to be linux flavor
and version agnostic, they need to check your system and at least offer
you the opportunity to download and correctly configure and install add-on
security software.  Failure to do so makes them no better than anything
produced by Microsoft and all that corporation could produce I'd buy in
the future would be vacuum cleaners and jet engines because both of them
really suck.