Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Mon Mar 14 00:16:32 UTC 2005

>When I resized with qtparted, I did notice a small partition marked as
>"hidden".
>When I did the resize, it seemed to gobble this up in to the new free
>space.

I have seen this a lot.  It's as if XP "rounds off" your disk capacity.
I have never found a good explanation, but then I am in the habit of
making my computers dual-boot which reclaims the lost space.

>XP started and seemed to operate fine after this though....
>(Hope I haven't screwed anything!).

No, you likely are just fine.   I have run like this for years on
several machines.

>>> The nasty dual-boot bug of FC2 appears to be a thing of the past.
>>Ah, is this the "hard disk geometry" thing
>>(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html

Yes.  If you can install without getting errors or warnings about
geometry, you're all set.

>>)? I stumbled across that earlier and was really really hoping I
>>wouldn't have to deal with it later (I wouldn't mind going out this
>>evening if I get a chance :o)

Go on out and enjoy!   Erik