telnet, ftp, and Fedora core 3

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Mar 14 05:28:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 19:51 -0800, Betty Chang wrote:
> Hi -- how do I get fedora core3 to be configured to run telnet and ftp
> servers?
>
> I've played around with the Services configuration screen, and the security
> settings, but somehow I cannot get an
> ftp or a telnet going.
>

> Thanks
>
> BEtty

Someone else has already told you about vsftp.

I do NOT recommend telnet because of security.  FC3 (as most
distributions of Linux) has ssh already installed.  To enable it simply
"# chkconfig sshd on" followed by "# service sshd start"

Then with any ssh client you can connect similar to telnet but in secure
encrypted mode.