ftp windoze <- fc3 works fine, ftp fc3 <- fc3 doesn't work? (for me)

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:31:50 UTC 2005

> I think he meant it's a firewall issue on the FC3 *client* side. If you
> disable the client's firewall, does it work?

Below are 2 sessions (names and ip changed to protect the guilty), the
1st on the FC3 box with firewall disabled and SELinux off. The 2nd is
through XP, same machine, same connection, dual boot. In XP I can ls,
cd, pwd, get, and send with no probelms. In FC3 I can only pwd and cd,
as you can see below. So the connection in FC3 is good, the server is
good, the box is good, the connection is good, but FC3 ftp prevents me
from seeing, getting, or sending anything to the server.

The key difference seems to be:
  227 Entering Passive Mode (xx,xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xxx).
  ftp: connect: No route to host
in the FC3 session

I even tried taking advantage of the line "If you experience any
problems here, contact : bob at myserver.net" but the guy on the other
end was useless! [grin]

bob(@myserver.net)

FC3 SESSION
[xxx at localhost ~]$ ftp myserver.net
Connected to myserver.net.
220 FTP Server ready.
500 AUTH not understood
500 AUTH not understood
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (myserver.net:xxx): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password.
Password:
230-
       *** Welcome to the MyServer.net anonymous ftp server ***

     You are user 1 out of a maximum of 10 authorized anonymous logins.
     The current time here is Mon Mar 14 13:05:52 2005.
     If you experience any problems here, contact : bob at myserver.net

230 Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (xx,xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xxx).
ftp: connect: No route to host
ftp> pwd
257 "/pub" is current directory.
ftp> cd ..
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> cd uploads
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> pwd
257 "/uploads" is current directory.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (xx,xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xxx).
ftp: connect: No route to host
ftp> bye

XP SESSION
E:>ftp myserver.net
Connected to myserver.net.
220 FTP Server ready.
User (myserver.net:(none)): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password.
Password:
230-
       *** Welcome to the MyServer.net anonymous ftp server ***

     You are user 1 out of a maximum of 10 authorized anonymous logins.
     The current time here is Mon Mar 14 13:14:44 2005.
     If you experience any problems here, contact : bob at myserver.net

230 Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
mysql-administrator-1.0.19-linux.tar.gz
mysql-query-browser-1.1.6-linux.tar.gz
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 329 bytes received in 0.02Seconds 16.45Kbytes/sec.
ftp> pwd
257 "/pub" is current directory.
ftp> cd ..
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> cd uploads
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> send test.txt
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for test.txt
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 491 bytes sent in 0.02Seconds 24.55Kbytes/sec.
ftp> bye