Removing unwanted kernels

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:13:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:33:03 -0500, jim lawrence <fedorajim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:31:03 -0500, David Niemi <drn_temp2 at rogers.com> wrote:
> > What is the best way to get rid of many of the old and non-working
> > kernels out of Grub?  Sure, I could go in as root hacking up Grub and
> > blowing away files but I know this isn't too good an idea :)
> >
> > Here is a list of my kernels:
> >   [me at Jenny grub]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
> >   kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667
> >   kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
> >   kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.741_FC3
> >   kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.760_FC3
> >   kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.766_FC3
> >   kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.49_FC3
> >   kernel-2.6.10-1.760_FC3
> >   kernel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3
> >   kernel-2.6.9-1.667
> >   kernel-2.6.10-1.741_FC3
> >   kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
> >
> > The kernels were installed via up2date and I have read through the
> > fedoranews page for "yum-remove" at:
> > http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-remove/
> >
> > Would that be the proper procedure to remove the extra kernels or just
> > use "rpm -e kernel..." as I found elsewhere.
> >
> > Thanks
> >  Dave
> >
> > --
> >
> Yes  rpm -e kernel version
>
> So a Example would be
>
> rpm -e kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667
>
> & you can do more than 1 at a time
>
> rpm -e kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667 kernel-2.6.9-1.667
>
> because you have the smp & other version, you may have to do the latter example
>
> --
>
> Jim Lawrence

I have a question here. My system, for example, has kernel *and*
kernel-smp for each kernel release. However, I've never seen it use
the regular one, only the smp. So, is there *any* good reason to keep
the regular (not -smp) kernel around? or is it safe to remove those
too?

For example, I have:
>rpm -qa | grep kernel-2 ; rpm -qa | grep kernel-sm
kernel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3
kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.766_FC3
>uname -r
2.6.10-1.770_FC3smp

So, is there a reason to keep: kernel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3 and
kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ?
(Of course, I keep the kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.766_FC3. )

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680