problem launching emacs from panel

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:44:33 UTC 2005

>When I try to add a custom emacs launcher to the panel in both KDE and
>gnome, it doesn't work.  I get the following error:
>Cannot open load file: term/x-win

I found out why emacs wasn't working although I don't understand all of the
details.  Some environment variables are different when I launch things from
the panel versus launching them from a shell.  There was an EMACSLOADPATH
environment variable that is explicitly unset in my .cshrc file that is set
to some old path when I launch it from the panel.  I guess EMACSLOADPATH was
set in some company-wide file that's included from my .login file.  The
panel picks up the .login stuff, but not the shell-specific .cshrc.  It
makes sense I guess.

               David