folders in /tmp are missing

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon Mar 14 21:08:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, March 14, 2005 2:22 pm, Rahul Sundaram said:
> Hi
>

>> My questions are:  the partition /tmp is always empty, will that cause
>> any
>> potential problem because those folders are missing?
>
> No.  these are temporary files and you need not worry about them at
> all. they are periodically cleaned up using tmpwatch and a cron job

That's not entirely accurate.  lost+found is usually found when you create
and mount a filesystem at a particular mount point.  It's where "found"
data is placed during an fsck.

The question, for Rahul, is this:  Did you create a separate filesystem
for /tmp, and is it mounted?  From your description, I'd say that you need
to:

A) Mount /tmp
B) Add /tmp to your /etc/fstab file, so that it's mounted on your next
reboot.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit