folders in /tmp are missing

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Mon Mar 14 21:35:41 UTC 2005

> On Mon, March 14, 2005 2:22 pm, Rahul Sundaram said:
>> Hi
>>

>>> My questions are:  the partition /tmp is always empty, will that cause
>>> any
>>> potential problem because those folders are missing?
>>
>> No.  these are temporary files and you need not worry about them at
>> all. they are periodically cleaned up using tmpwatch and a cron job
>
> That's not entirely accurate.  lost+found is usually found when you create
> and mount a filesystem at a particular mount point.  It's where "found"
> data is placed during an fsck.
>
> The question, for Rahul, is this:  Did you create a separate filesystem
> for /tmp, and is it mounted?  From your description, I'd say that you need
> to:
>
> A) Mount /tmp
> B) Add /tmp to your /etc/fstab file, so that it's mounted on your next
> reboot.
>
> --
> Mike Burger
> http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Hi Mike,

The question was actually asked by me.  The partition /tmp was created
during the initial installation of fc3 system, and, of cause, it was and
is mounted.  It wasn't empty until I ran up2date to update some packages.
I can't say which package update caused this "problem", but I "accidently"
found it became empty after then. Here is my current fstab:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/home1            /home                   ext3    defaults,usrquota
      1 2
LABEL=/opt              /opt                    ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/tmp1             /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/usr1             /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var1             /var                    ext3    defaults,usrquota
      1 2

The system log does not show any message related to /tmp, "good" or "bad".

When I try to umount /tmp, it says:

# umount /tmp
umount: /tmp: device is busy
umount: /tmp: device is busy

I restarted the system several times, /tmp is still empty.
Any idea why /tmp could "lose" all of its folders?  Do I need to "fix" it?

Thanks!

Hongwei Li