Restore ld-2.3.2-so : can I do this?

lin q linq936 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 01:02:02 UTC 2005

Hi,
  I have Fedora Core 1 installed on my PC and on a spare partition I am
trying to build a minimal Linux from scratch.

  The thing is when I come to install glibc, the libraries are messed up:
newly compiled ld-2.3.2.so overriding the old one coming with Fedora Core,
and now I can not run any simple command.

  I checked /lib directory, it seems ld-2.3.2.so is the only one get
overwritten, so I am trying to restore it like this:

   1) extract ld-2.3.2.so from Fedora Core CD, glibc RPM
   2)  use Knoppix to boot the PC
   3) copy over ld-2.3.2.so

  It seems reasonable to me, but I got some problem.

  1) I see several glibc-2.3.2 RPM on the first CD of Fecora Core,
glibc-common.2.3.2-101.i386.rpm, glibc-2.3.2-101.i386.rpm and
glibc-2.3.2-101.i686.rpm. I wonder which one I should use? My PC is Celeron
366MHz.  Because I can not run rpm on my PC, I really do not know which
original RPM glibc  is.

  2) How to extract a particular program from a rpm package? I can load the
CD on another linux machine, but I do not have root permission on it, -- and
I do not want to override any library on it. I tried this way:
    * edit ./.rpmmacro and define %_topdir to my local directory
    * rum "rpm -i <one of the 3 glibc rpm packages>
but I get some errors saying can not lock some file under root, permission
denied.

Could you please help me on this?

Thanks.