hardware question: Intel entry server board SE7221BK1 & Fedora Core 3

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Mar 15 04:18:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 21:00, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> The advantage of such a nice community base is, that we can share
> hardware experiences - I still have in mind a community feeded database
> of compatible and non-compatible hardware for Fedora .

> http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/SE7221BK1-E/index.htm
>
> Does anybody of you run this board with Fedora Core 3? Any feedback is
> welcomed. So especially is SATA problem free with the chipset - the RAID
> function seems to be BIOS supported software/driver RAID only and is no
> must - and how about the lm_sensors support? I found that the National
> Semiconductor LM96000 chip should work with the LM85 module, while for
> the National Semiconductor* PC87427 I didn't found anything. Remote
> observation of fan radiation and temperatures is needed.
> Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3.0 is supported, but that always means the
> "costs" to need a specific kernel for the provided drivers & tools. As
> security update kernel come out more frequently than such driver updates
> are provided such dependency on non open source / GPL software is hardly
> acceptable with a system connected to the net 24/7.
>
> Any experience based input is apprechiated. Maybe a suggested alternate?
> Who prefers to stay anonym may mail me personally :)

I have not used that particular board.  I can say that the Silicon
Image, Inc. SiI 3114 chip set works well for SATA drives and is
supported out of the box by FC3.

The same board has Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT/ITE8212 Dual
channel ATA RAID controller (PCI version seems to be IT8212, embedded
seems (rev 13) which does not appear to work out of the box.  However
that was before I turned off the fast scan feature.  It may work now but
I have not tested again yet.

If the board has a Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet
10/100/1000Base-T Adapter you will need to install a driver that is not
included with FC3.  This does mean that every time you update the kernel
this driver must be rebuilt.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without
getting nervous.