USB hotplugging does not work on all machines anymore

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 07:11:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:00:23 +0100, Markus Huber
<humarfedoralists at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Ankush Grover wrote:
>
> > first boot your machine and then plug your scanner or usb hd .Please
> > see the logs (tail -f /var/log/messages) and see if there any errors
> > in it.
>
> Thank you for that advice. Plugging in the IDE-USB-disk it reads:
>
> Mar 15 06:44:37 localhost kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device
> using address 2
> Mar 15 06:44:38 localhost pam_timestamp_check: pam_timestamp: `/' owner
> UID != 0Mar 15 06:44:42 localhost kernel: usb 1-3: control timeout on ep0out
> Mar 15 06:44:43 localhost pam_timestamp_check: pam_timestamp: `/' owner
> UID != 0Mar 15 06:45:18 localhost last message repeated 7 times
> Mar 15 06:46:23 localhost last message repeated 13 times
>
> And after that it is at its end.
>
> > There are some issues with usb devices please update the rpms like
> > kernel ,udev,usbdevices ,initscripts,ramdisk.
>
> I am at the latest patchlevel of FC3, and I am not sure if I want to mix
> with packages from the developers' Rawhide.
>
> > I hope after updating the problem will get resolved.
>
> Me hoping too, but I fear, the new kernel developments do not like my
> motherboard or the hardware is broken.
>
> The motherboard is an Abit SG-71, and the latest BIOS is from 2003. So I
> am running the latest BIOS, it does not seem that Abit is still
> supporting that piece of hardware.

Did you usb devices get connected before updating the kernel or the
problem is there from the first time(means when you installed the
FC3).

Right now i don't have a solution for ur problem,but because i faced
the same problem and i upgraded my kernel and also hotplug utilities
rpm and my usb devices started working fine.

I forget to ask you did you upgraded hotplug rpm if not then please
update it because hotplug is necessary for usb devices.

Regards

Ankush