UPS for fc3 linux

Rick Wagner wagnerric at condor.cxo.cpqcorp.net
Tue Mar 15 18:46:41 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 11:26 am, Hongwei Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know if a good UPS with automatic safe-shuting-down and
> startup features available for fc3 linux system?  Basically, I need:
>
> 1. If there is a power outage, the UPS uses its battery to provide power
> to the linux system (5 to 10 minutes, or longer).  When the batter's power
> goes down to some level, say 50%, and the AC power is still not back, the
> UPS will shutdown the linux system normally to avoid any damage.

I use an APC Back-UPS Pro 500 with a USB interface.  The software included is
for windows, however, a bit of looking around, I found a UPS howto (probably
at Linux Document Project (www.tldp.org).  It referenced a daemon "apcupsd",
which seems to do the job.  I was a little leery of the USB interface, but it
seems to just work.  Also check out http://www.apcupsd.com/.

> 2.  When the AC power comes back, it will recharge the UPS and when the
> batter's level reaches 80 or 90%, it will start the linux system normally.
>
> Such ups is widely used in windows servers.  Is it available for linux
> systems?

I don't recall any parameters for configuring power up thresholds.