Grub fails when moving HD to a new computer

rescondio no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 16 13:39:12 UTC 2005

No way :(

if I run grub-install after chrooting /mnt/sysimage, it looks ok, but it still doesn't boot.

If run

grub-install /dev/hda1

when booting I get a screen full of
GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

If I use

grub-install /dev/hda

it hags again after

GRUB Loading stage2...

Even after reinstalling grub.. I can place HD again on the original computer and boot without any trouble.

I think I should do a fresh install on a new HD and then move all data to it.

What do you think ?

Thanks again :)

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org