Guidelines to select a new computer for linux use?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Mar 16 23:21:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 17:56, Victor Marquez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am starting to learn linux, currently I have installed FC3 in a
> machine on my home network.
>
> I am planning to buy a new computer and install linux on it, the
> machine where I currently have installed will return to it's habitual
> task as a WinXX firewall and access point for Interner (can't be done
> in Linux because mi connection is broadband via an USB modem
> (non-standard/no-linux-drivers).
>
> Can somebody recommend me a site or document where I can learn about
> what are the best i386 processors for linux and/or for specific tasks?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
>
> Regards
>
> Victor Marquez

The processor is never really a problem.  Linux will run on pretty much
all of them.  The real questions are how much do you want to spend and
what kind of things do you plan on using the system for.

For example:  If you are planning on doing some video editing you will
want a faster processor and more disk drives.

For simple email/browser use you can use a slower processor (cheaper)
and smaller hard drive.

You should as a minimum get 512MB or 1GB of memory and 60GB hard drive.
AMD processors will be cheaper in most cases and provide similar or
better performance to their Intel counterparts.

The biggest problem area for linux at the moment IMHO is wireless
setup.  You have to determine what chip set your wireless card has and
find an appropriate driver to support it.

For a desk top system that is probably not an issue.

You may want to get a slightly older motherboard.  Those will tend to
have better support under Linux than the brand new top of the line
models.

When you narrow down the particular motherboards you are looking at do a
google search and ask on the list.  Hopefully you will find information
on the particular motherboard telling you how well Linux worked with it.

You can put together a good system for less than $500.00 depending on
what you are looking for.

Good luck.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The naked truth of it is, I have no shirt.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"