Linux and windows install

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 23:19:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:06:57 +0100, Francois Massonneau <frmas at free.fr> wrote:
[snip]
> I did that, but it has failed ;-(((
>
> Now when I boot, I see :
> booting linux 2.6.9-1.667smp
> root hd0,0
> filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> error 17 : cannot mount selected partition
> press any key to continue.
>
> First, I should have seen the grub menu.
> but if i press a key, I can see the grub menu, but the screen is black and
> white only with vertical lines, and is very difficult to read.
> So once I can see (imagine) the grub menu, I have in it the  three options
> (linux, linux smp, and windows)
> None of them works.
> if I try windows, I see :
> root noverify (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1
> error 10 (I'm not sure about the number displayed) : invalid or unsupported
> executable.
>
> when booting with the rescue disk, I have in the grub.conf file :
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Linux (2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667smp.img
> title Linux-up (2.6.9-1.667)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
> title windows
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> Something must be wrong in it.
>
> thank you to everybody who could help. Thanks. Francois

It looks like GRUB is still confused about disks and partitions.
Could you boot with the rescue CD (or CD1 with "linux rescue") and get
us the output of "fdisk -l" (the full output, please).  The first
error, the unknown partition type means that it is either trying to
access you Windows disk, or the partition has the wrong type number.
Also, what does your /boot/grub/device.map contain now?  If /dev/sda
is mapped to (hd0) and it contains your Windows install (I believe
that is right), then the numbers in your grub.conf need to be switched
around.
So your Windows section would be:
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Linux would be (smp is going to be similar):
title Linux-up (2.6.9-1.667)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

And you should also change the "splashimage" line to point to (hd1,0).
 To see if this will work, you can try booting Windows manually.  When
you have the GRUB boot prompt hit Esc (escape key) and press 'c' to
bring up a command line.  Then type this:
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot

If Windows then boots, you should make the changes I suggest to you
grub.conf, and things should work.  By the way, I assume you SMP entry
is not how you show it (you are missing the "root" line and part of
the "kernel" line is up with the title).

Jonathan