Guidelines to select a new computer for linux use?

Victor Marquez victor.w3 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:40:11 UTC 2005

Thanks for your answer Scot,

I'll be using this machine to learn linux (all about configuration,
administration and programming) and as a file server with a tape drive
to backup regularily information from our other home computers.

I think I will make it multiboot with 2 or 3 linux installations. One
for daily use, other for experimenting with my first choice of linux
distribution (e.i. installing software to try it) and the third to
install/compile different distributions/kernels.

This machine will not have a big user base (just me and my wife in our
home-network, we  have 2 laptops as main computers, 1 win9x as proxy
for internet access and a web/SQL server to on work projects at home)
and will be accessed for SSH remote access (console) and remote
xWindows. I may go for a 120+ GB Hard Disk, sound and graphics are
really not important for this machine CD/DVD ROM or RW and standard
ISA ethernet. I just want it to be fast enough to experiment with it
and to access some x based programs for home use (MS Money like apps,
personell internal web server fot our KBs, etc.).

My primmary idea of this is to learn linux to start providing services
in this platform (I have been wintel
programmer/server-network-admin/IT-advisor for long years). I am
specialized in TCP/IP based solutions (web, web services, protocols,
mailing, etc.) with a fair knowledge on sys administration,
configuration, programming, networking, software and solutions.

My main concern was if I would be able to find drivers for my specific
components. Your recommendation about selecting a sligthly older
motherboard and searching for the model/brand before commiting the
shop is very goor to me.

Thanks a lot again.

Victor Marquez

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:21:38 -0500, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 17:56, Victor Marquez wrote:

(... text removed ...)

> > I am planning to buy a new computer and install linux on it, the
> > machine where I currently have installed will return to it's habitual
> > task as a WinXX firewall and access point for Interner (can't be done
> > in Linux because mi connection is broadband via an USB modem
> > (non-standard/no-linux-drivers).
> >
> > Can somebody recommend me a site or document where I can learn about
> > what are the best i386 processors for linux and/or for specific tasks?
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

(... text removed ...)