httpd trouble

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Thu Mar 17 15:47:03 UTC 2005

Craig Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 08:32 -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:
>
>>so you're saying its better to have an AddType line for .html and .php?
>

> Yes.
>
> Why have the php engine process .html pages?  it will be slower as the
> http requests will _never_ be handled by just apache, but always passed
> to php additionally, even when no php code exists. [unless it's chached
> someplace of course...]

I have the php engine processing .html pages so I can utilize that
engine by embedding php within the .html pages. most of the time when
I'm doing this it is to include or call for other pages in order to
modularize certain aspects of a site.

EXAMPLE:

     <? include("header.html"); ?>

     <? include("menu.html"); ?>

     <? include("footer.html"); ?>

Now I'm free to deal mainly with what goes in the content area; my
header and footer is always the same on every page unless I call for a
different page for those areas. If I happen to be developing a cookie
based menu system for a site or web app that requires access
restrictions based on user types I can use a php based menu system that
does cookie checking in which case the menu page that gets loaded is the
same file each time, but only shows what the user has access to on the
menu. in which case menu.html would be menu.php.

using the php engine in this fashion I can embed small include
statements or an entire block of full blown php - what ever pleases me
or meets the need at the time and I'm not locked into making sure my
extensions are all .php.

--
Mark