My USB key is not compatible with ehci-hcd

Thu Mar 17 17:47:56 UTC 2005

fabrizio.ge at tiscali.it wrote:
> Hello.
> I have Fedora Core 3, with kernel 2.6.10-741, and modules ehci-hcd and uhci
> loaded. When I plug in my USB key, it is not recognized. It is a Hamlet 128
> MB USB 2.0 key. These messages appear on dmesg:
>
> usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
> usb 1-6: device descriptor read/all, error -71
> usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
> usb 1-6: device descriptor read/all, error -71
> usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
> usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
> usb 1-6: device descriptor read/all, error -71
> usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
> usb 1-6: device descriptor read/all, error -71
>
> The device is not seen by lsusb or /proc/bus/usb/devices.
>
> If I type, as root, modprobe -r ehci-hcd, suddenly everything works (although
> in some cases it is necessary to unplug and plug again the key). Here is
> the key's entry in /proc/bus/usb/devices
>
> T:  Bus=04 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=0117 ProdID=0117 Rev= 1.00
> S:  Manufacturer=Power by USB
> S:  Product=USB 2.0 Flash Drive
> S:  SerialNumber=A083116524623
> C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 84mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
> E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
> E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
>
> What's the problem? It is Fedora's fault? Or kernel's?

The first thing that I would do is to fully update your system. You are
several kernel versions behind at this point, plus more than likely some
HAL and udev updates, all of which can impact the compatibility and
stability of USB drives.

Once you fully update your system, then retry the USB drive.

If it still does not work, some USB drives seem to require reformatting
the file system in order to be read. You may need to review any
technical documentation that came with the drive to see how to do this,
if required.

First update, as more than likely, that will resolve the problem.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz