booting an intel 815 fc3 without monitor

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 04:26:20 UTC 2005

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:12:54 -0800, bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:
> hi..
>
> i discovered i'm having the same problem i thought i had already fixed. i'm
> trying to boot an intel 815 mobo with FC3. the FC3 install hangs midway
> through if the monitor is not plugged in.
>
> i've added various combinations of the following to the grub.conf file with
> no luck.
>
> grub.conf
> .
> .
> .
> .
> linux nofb noprobe skipddc
>
> (as the last line of the file)

Huh?  I don't think you understand the syntax of the grub.conf file.
If you want to boot with those parameters, they should go on the end
of your kernel line.  So you should have an entry like:

title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.770_FC3)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=/dev/VolGroup/slash
        initrd /initrd-2.6.10-1.770_FC3.img

This is using a /boot partition and a logical volume, so things may be
a little different in your case.  Anyway, stick your parameters you
want ("nofb noprobe skipddc") after the last thing on the line that
begins with "kernel"  You probably have multiple entries like this
too, so be sure to change the one that you boot, or do it to all of
them to be safe.  Be sure to remove the option "rhgb" if it is there.
Sorry if you understood this, but that wasn't clear from your post.

> i still have the same issue i had before, in that the system hangs!
>
> i've seen some others via google who have the same/similar issue with no
> solution...
>
> any thoughts/ideas/etc...
>
> Bruce Douglas
> bedouglas at earthlink.net