booting an intel 815 fc3 without monitor

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 18 19:04:59 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:07:35 -0800, bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>john...
>>
>>thanks for getting back to me. i had actually tried both... i screwed up at
>>1st, and then found an example...
>>
>>unfortunately, it didn't work...
>>
>>my grub.conf file is:
>>
>>-----------------------------------------------------
>>[root at lserver4 etc]# cat grub.conf
>># grub.conf generated by anaconda
>>#
>># Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
>># NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
>>#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>>#          root (hd0,0)
>>#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
>>quiet
>>#          initrd /initrd-version.img
>>#boot=/dev/hda
>>
>>#
>>#b douglas added params to kernel line.. due to boot without monitor
>>#
>>
>>default=0
>>timeout=5
>>splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>hiddenmenu
>>title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
>>        root (hd0,0)
>>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 quiet
>>noprobe skipddc
>>        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
>>
>>#linux noprobe skipddc nofb vga=0
>>
>>as i said, i plug the monitor, it works... i unplug the monitor, it hangs..
>>
>>it's seriously frustrating... and there are no BIOS options that i can
>>manipulate..
>>
>>so.. any clues/suggestions would be helpful.
>>
>>bruce
>

> Very strange indeed.  Perhaps upgrading to a newer kernel might help.
> Looks like you are still running the original FC3 kernel.  I know that
> one has trouble with the Intel 810 chipset (I've seen enough messages
> about it), maybe there are fixes for the 815 in newer ones as well, I
> don't know.  It's worth a shot at least.

The version currently in rawhide is broken again for the 815 graphics card.
I am going to try the version in testing for FC3 to see if it is alright
later. The rawhide version is a no go.

Regarding Bruce's problem, I suspect that booting into runlevel 3
instead of 5 might resolve the monitor issue. Either that or selecting a
generic monitor.

I never had to add any additional options to boot up with the 815
graphics card.

Jim