Config check for box swith two nics

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Sat Mar 19 01:27:51 UTC 2005

On 18 Mar 2005, at 21:26, GPL wrote:

> I am working with a box that has two nics. I want the PUBLIC interface
> to use two of my external DNS servers and the INTERNAL interface to
> use two of my internal DNS servers. This is not a router as I have not
> turned routing on. Not sure my resolv.conf is right. When I try to
> ping an internal host by just host name and FQDN it fails. Fine by IP.
> Ping by name on Internet side fine.

Name resolution is jus that: name resolution... when you try to resolve
a name, you don't know beforehand what interface you should use, since
you only know the host name. When you want to resolve a name, you ask a
name server, but you can't distinguish between internal or external
queries.

AFAIK, what you want to do is impossible.