/dev/cdrom question

C Toews toewsc at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 19 03:43:53 UTC 2005

I'm hoping this is a bonehead question with an easy answer:  I just
installed Fedora Core 3 from a dvd.  The installation seemed to go fine, but
I've noticed that /dev/cdrom doesn't exist, with the apparent consequence
that I can't play CD's.  Except on a very cursory level, I don't really
understand what the entries in the /dev directory represent, and in
particular I don't understand when or how they are produced.  I do know that
the cd drive works because I've checked it on the windows side (its a dual
boot).  Any idea why the /dev/cdrom directory (directory?  file? I'm not
sure what it is) wasn't created?  More relevantly, is there any way to
create it, and associate with the relevant hardware?

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl