The Missing Fedora Manual

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Sat Mar 19 08:38:36 UTC 2005

Paul Almquist wrote:

> This would be a major undertaking but would provide opportunity for lots of
> people to contribute to the community, especially for those that know their
> stuff and for those that want to learn.
>
> What think ye?  Is this feasible, useful, worthwhile or the dumbest thing you
> ever hear?   Or maybe this already exists and I just have not learned about
> it yet.

Generally, I think it's a nice idea...

On the IBM VM/CMS system a user can enter "HELP <message number>" and
get a nice summary of what the error is and what the next step is.

I'm just not sure how this would fit in Fedora.... error messages don't
appear to be very "standard".

Maybe that's your point.... but Linux is supposed to be a flavor of
UNIX, and unless you want to change all of UNIX, I don't know how
well-received these sorts of changes will be. It would be a lot of
effort, but not necessarily a lot of real gain.

I'd rather see effort spent of fixing and enhancing things... :-)