AMD Athlon64 qool'n quiet - how?

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Sat Mar 19 11:46:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-19-03 at 12:33 +0100, Zoltan Kota wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an AMD Athlon64 3200+ machine with Fedora Core 3 (x86_64). How
> can I exploit the qool'n quiet feature of the processor? It doesn't
> seem to decrease the speed. cpuspeed runs and the processor is
> recognized as I see in /var/log/messages. (Although there are some
> warning messages as well: "powernow-k8: vid trans failed, vid 0x3,
> curr 0x4").
> Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
>
> Zoltan

This is controlled in the BIOS.  I don't have my manual handy at the
moment but you can set the cool'n quiet active and I think with this
motherboard also set the activation temperatures in the BIOS.

The people on the MSI forums are usually pretty good at helping out and
I believe a few months ago I saw posts on the cool'n quiet.