Passwordless login to FC3 system

sam samurai at acm.org
Sat Mar 19 17:06:06 UTC 2005

I've been working recently on streamlining a set of labs that I control.
One of the steps towards this end has been the use of generated keys and
passwordless ssh login. Here's my problem...

If I generate an rsa public key and put it on any non-FC3 system I can
use
passwordless login from the Fedora  machine. Currently the other lab
systems are redhat 9 or  Debian based. If I in turn generate an rsa key
on a
debian box and insert it into the authorized_keys file on the Fedora
side
I don't get the same result. It always blows past the publickey
authentication
and asks for a password. What is wrong with this picture. Both FC3 and
Debian are running the same version of openssh, although the ssh_config
and
sshd_config files are just slightly different. In both cases I'm
generating
ssh version 2 keys.

Is there something special that must be done on the FC3 side to accept
this type of login from a non-FC3 machine? I don't have a second Fedora
machine
to try  this experiment between two FC machines. Its quite puzzling. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

--

Sam Williams                                             samurai at acm.org