Trouble with fedora

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sat Mar 19 19:34:14 UTC 2005

On Saturday 19 March 2005 10:26, Ken Cooper wrote:
> David Curry wrote:

> First off, sorry for posting at the top, I didn't know that.  And
> second, when I FIRST got my computer, I knew my motherboard had onboard
> video.  I wanted/intended to use it, because again it's just a server,
> and don't need video that much, so I wanted to use the motherboard.  But
> I couldn't install it with the onboard.  So I had to use my dads video
> card, to install it, which I could.  This was FC1, not 3, which is what
> I'm trying to get right now.  I am using my dads old video card right
> now, and it won't even install.  I'm coming to conclusions that it's my
> Soyo motherboard.  I tryed calling them before, but they just blamed it
> on memory, so I had to spend $80 on memory that I DIDN'T need.  Well, I
> had FC1 on it, and I didn't like it, because it kept freezing, so I
> thought I'd try FC3, and NOTHING works.  So I think it's my motherboard,
> but I just want to know what you guys think.  I don't have the money to
> buy one right now, but maybe in a few years will.  Thanks!!!
>
>     Ken Cooper

Hi Ken & others:

Having been involved in assembling PC computer systems both for work and fun,
I've decided to stay away from certain manufacturers over time.

I used a lot of Soyo boards many years ago but in the mid 90's they seemed to
begin having problems with quality control on their mobos.  I quit using them
as there were too many customer complaints and problems.  I ended up
replacing a disproportionate number of Soyo mobos so stopped using them.  I
now use mainly MSI and ASUS (AMD) boards when building for clients.

I'm not saying that current Soyo boards are poor quality as I don't have
experience with them.  I don't know where you are located but find a computer
shop which has knowledgable sales/support help (especially ones using linux)
and get their recommendation for a new mobo.

HTH, Tom
--
Tom Taylor
Registered linux user #263467