boot in a floppy!

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Mar 20 13:52:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 15:30 +0100, marcoc wrote:
> My computer is with in an hard disk Windows Xp. For now I can't remove it, my wife would kill me.
> In another (slave) HD, I am moving first "wars" with Linux! I have the fear that putting the bootloader in the first hard disk can damage to the Win one, so I have used for MDK and Suse the diskette idea. Works well, only when I insert the diskette it boot Linux. You have better ideas? Explain me what You would do, in my situation.
> Thanks
> Marco
>
> The link explain a different situation.. I need the diskette also for the first boot, after the installation...

I think the best thing for you to do is to repeat the Fedora
installation, but this time get it install grub as the bootloader on the
boot or root partition of the Linux installation (not on the Master Boot
Record). Make a note of which partition you install grub on.

Then, get bootpart from http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm and use
that to add an entry to your XP boot menu to load Linux from the
partition you noted earlier.

This will result in your machine using the WinXP bootloader, and
offering a menu of either XP or Linux. Selecting Linux will result in
grub being called, and you boot Linux from grub in the usual way. No
floppy disks needed, no Master Boot Record alterations.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>