Disk not ready

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Mar 20 16:00:26 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 07:46, Steve Sykes wrote:
>I get this line in my log file repeated over and over.
>
>kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
>
>How can I stop it?

Did you perchance have a floppy mounted at some point, and then
removed it without doing a 'umount /mnt/floppy' on it first?  That
will load up your logs with such messages.

The umount (unmounting) operation will flush possibly dirty cache
buffers to the disk, and deallocate them.

If thats the case, you should reinsert THAT exact disk, wait about 6
or 7 seconds, then do the umount operation.  Or you could reboot, but
that won't guarantee that the disk in question is fully uptodate with
whatever it was you were writing to it.

The same thing could be said for a cd, but since the mount also locks
the drawer so it cannot be opened in most cases until it has been
unmounted, thats not nearly so often an occurrance.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)