network card auto-deactivates

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 20 16:38:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 09:35, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> At the moment I have the curious and annoying situation where my network card
> appears to de-activate itself at random intervals, but usually overnight. Its
> a realtek 8139 which is connected to my ADSL modem, a DSL-300T made by
> D-link. I leave the network connection up and working when I go to bed, and
> when I come down in the morning I have no network connection, and when I
> check the network-configuration gui, it shows the status as being 'inactive'.
> If I double-click the 'status in the gui it shows that 'activate device when
> computer restarts' as being ticked, and I've also enabled the radio button of
> 'Automatically obtain IP address settings with dhcp'.
>
> The modem shows that there has been no break in connection time, but does say
> that there is no dhcp client available.
>
> Can anyone help me to sort out this problem please?
>
> Sharon.

Could your ISP be timing out your connection?

Check if there are any keep alive options with the DSL modem.

You could also try pinging a site to keep activity going on the
connection to see if that keeps the connection active.

Check the log files as well to see if there is anything being logged.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Alea iacta est.