CD-RW (Was Monitor T/off)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 20 22:59:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 08:00 +1200, Perry Spiller wrote:

> > Please don't post in html - send messages in plain text format
>
> Right - I've changed that setting at the options page.
> (If it creates problems, why is it offered as an option?)
----
evidently the settings weren't the right settings - still html

most mail programs allow you to choose format - plain text either on a
per message basis, by 'recipient' or always. One of them is likely to
work for you. If I had Eudora installed on my Windows computer, I would
direct you to the settings but I don't.

As for if it creates problems, why is it offered as an option?
Now that I know that you read through Gustavo's stuff, you should know
the answer.
----

> > What is on the CD?
>
> It's a data CD with word processor files and the like.
>
> > What makes you think that it doesn't 'like' the CD?
>
> I attempted to write an Open Office file to it and got
> an error message (can't remember specifically) that
> gave me the clear impression it didn't like the format.
> (A bit like WindozeXP and Direct CD formatting)
>
> I thought formatting CDs as a removable disc was
> an ISO standard, but it seems not.
>
> > Which Fedora ?
>
> Core 2
>
> > Please be specific about what you are doing and what you are
> > expecting
> > to happen.
>
> Suitably chastened - sorry. I had hoped I'd described enough.
>
> Perhaps what I want is not possible? I want a CD format that all
> machines on the home office LAN can access. 2 have CDRWs.
> One has CDROM.
----
writing to cd disks requires system properly configured to do that.
OpenOffice and the typical application is able to write to a filesystem
that is ready to be written to. A 'CD' Writing program, K3B for example
can do that. DirectCD has a 'mode' on Windows that provides a 'virtual'
disk for applications to write their data and then when instructed, data
is written. Something probably exists for Linux to do that as well, I
have always used CD-R and never bothered with CD-RW.

I thought someone referred to a Gentoo patch to the kernel that allowed
that but that seemed to be way too much effort to go to.
----

> I have a Network problem, too, so, until that was solved, shifting
> the data file on a CD seemed a good workaround. In hindsight,
> it was small enough to use a 3.5 floppy, so I now also ask if I'm
> likely to have similar unrecognised format type error messages
> with those?
----
My preference would be to 'network' - sneaker net with CD-RW seems like
a slow way to share files

Craig