Unable to set DISPLAY localhost:0.0 / Solved

Linux Beginner linux_beginner at alexandria.cc
Mon Mar 21 14:03:08 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian writes:

> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 01:00 +0000, Linux Beginner wrote:
>> Frank Vogel writes:

>> > Check your /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the host you are ssh-ing to.
>> > Are these lines present:
>> >
>> > ForwardX11 yes
>> > ForwardX11Trusted yes
>> >
>> > That should make it work.
>> >
>> > Gr,
>> >
>> > Frank
>> >

>> I wish to thank Frank and all the others who gave suggestions ;
>> Finally i solved it myself after some R&D by providing a
>> combination of more than one options. For the benefit of all, i
>> am giving below the cut paste of what i did
>>
>> [root at localhost ssh]# ssh -F /etc/ssh/ssh_config -X
>> root at localhost
>> root at localhost's password:
>> Last login: Sun Mar 20 16:54:13 2005 from localhost.localdomain
>> [root at localhost root]# xhost +
>> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
>
> This is BAD.
> It breaks many security features and leaves the system open for attack.
>
> Using the xhost option should at best be a very temporary option.  The
> warning above is there for a reason.
>
>> [root at localhost root]# /usr/X11R6/bin/xclock
>>
>> Gotcha!!!!!!!! There you go. It Works!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Environment DELL PC with Celeron (FC2) and Dual Boot with
>> Windoz.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Linux Beginner

As suggested i left out xhost + and tried .. it works but i am
NOT able to use any other login (oracle in this case) as shown
below

[root at localhost root]# date
Mon Mar 21 05:53:28 PST 2005
[root at localhost root]# ssh -F /etc/ssh/ssh_config -X
oracle at localhost
oracle at localhost's password:
Connection to localhost closed by remote host.
Connection to localhost closed.
[root at localhost root]#
[root at localhost root]#
[root at localhost root]#
[root at localhost root]#
[root at localhost root]# tail -2 /var/log/messages
Mar 21 05:53:05 localhost sshd(pam_unix)[3345]: session opened
for user oracle by (uid=501)
Mar 21 05:53:34 localhost sshd(pam_unix)[3353]: session opened
for user oracle by (uid=501)
[root at localhost root]#

The session seems to be getting opened and then connection is
closed by remote host.

I tried some searching on google and came up with

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/safe/diy/linux/remote/

But i am not able to make much progress. Here are the entries
for /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config files

<etc_ssh_sshconfig>
#       $OpenBSD: ssh_config,v 1.16 2002/07/03 14:21:05 markus
Exp $

# This is the ssh client system-wide configuration file.  See
# ssh_config(5) for more information.  This file provides
defaults for
# users, and the values can be changed in per-user configuration
files
# or on the command line.

# Configuration data is parsed as follows:
#  1. command line options
#  2. user-specific file
#  3. system-wide file
# Any configuration value is only changed the first time it is
set.
# Thus, host-specific definitions should be at the beginning of
the
# configuration file, and defaults at the end.

# Site-wide defaults for various options

# Host *
#   ForwardAgent no
#   ForwardX11 no
#   RhostsAuthentication no
#   RhostsRSAAuthentication no
#   RSAAuthentication yes
#   PasswordAuthentication yes
#   HostbasedAuthentication no
#   BatchMode no
#   CheckHostIP yes
#   StrictHostKeyChecking ask
#   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
#   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa
#   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa
#   Port 22
#   Protocol 2,1
#   Cipher 3des
#   Ciphers
aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc
#   EscapeChar ~
Host *
        ForwardX11 yes
</etc_ssh_sshconfig>

<etc_ssh_sshd_config>
#       $OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.59 2002/09/25 11:17:16 markus
Exp $

# This is the sshd server system-wide configuration file.  See
# sshd_config(5) for more information.

# This sshd was compiled with PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

# The strategy used for options in the default sshd_config
shipped with
# OpenSSH is to specify options with their default value where
# possible, but leave them commented.  Uncommented options
change a
# default value.

#Port 22
#Protocol 2,1
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::

# HostKey for protocol version 1
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
# HostKeys for protocol version 2
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

# Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
#KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
#ServerKeyBits 768

# Logging
#obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
#SyslogFacility AUTH
SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
#LogLevel INFO

# Authentication:

#LoginGraceTime 120
#PermitRootLogin yes
#StrictModes yes

#RSAAuthentication yes
#PubkeyAuthentication yes
#AuthorizedKeysFile     .ssh/authorized_keys

# rhosts authentication should not be used
#RhostsAuthentication no
# Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
#IgnoreRhosts yes
# For this to work you will also need host keys in
/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
#RhostsRSAAuthentication no
# similar for protocol version 2
#HostbasedAuthentication no
# Change to yes if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
# RhostsRSAAuthentication and HostbasedAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts no

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
#PasswordAuthentication yes
#PermitEmptyPasswords no

# Change to no to disable s/key passwords
#ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

# Kerberos options
#KerberosAuthentication no
#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
#KerberosTicketCleanup yes

#AFSTokenPassing no

# Kerberos TGT Passing only works with the AFS kaserver
#KerberosTgtPassing no

# Set this to 'yes' to enable PAM keyboard-interactive
authentication
# Warning: enabling this may bypass the setting of
'PasswordAuthentication'
#PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt no

#X11Forwarding no
X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10
#X11UseLocalhost yes
#PrintMotd yes
#PrintLastLog yes
#KeepAlive yes
#UseLogin no
#UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
#PermitUserEnvironment no
#Compression yes

#MaxStartups 10
# no default banner path
#Banner /some/path
#VerifyReverseMapping no

# override default of no subsystems
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
</etc_ssh_sshd_config>

Thanks

Linux Beginner