FC3 with BEFSR11 Linksys router slow connection

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:59:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:40:24 -0500, Shawn Iverson <shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us> wrote:
> On Monday, March 21, 2005 7:54 AM Bob Chiodini wrote:
> >>

> >Shawn,
> >
> >Have you verified that both the router side and the PC side have the
> >same speed and duplex settings.  ethtool or mii-tool should help on the
> >PC side.
> >
> >Bob...
> >

> I think that you are on to something.  That would explain the errors
> showing up in ifconfig:

> TX packets:61048 errors:41 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:41
>
> My box is 100/Full Duplex.  If the Linksys is 100/Half Duplex, receive
> packets will arrive without errors, but transmit packets may or may not
> hit the Linksys at the right time and result in errors, correct?
>
> Next chance I get, I will change the server's link speed and see what
> happens.  If this is the problem, I would find it to be quite odd
> because the XP machine that I used for testing is also 100/Full, so why
> wouldn't have it been affected?  Furthermore, since I also tried putting
> a 10/100 autosensing switch between the server and the Linksys to check
> for speed/duplex problems, why would the server still be having trouble?
>
> --

Well, first thing to remember is rule number one of networking...
"You are only as fast as your slowest link".

If you have a Cable or DSL modem on the other side of the Linksys, you
know that you are not going to be getting more than 10Mbits of speed
through them. DSL here in Houston (depending on what level you want to
pay for) is either 1.5Mbits, or 6.0 Mbits. Cable throughput will vary,
but usually isn't going to be more than that.

So is there any reason for your FC3 machine needs a 100Mbit connection
to the switch?

Also, the auto-sensing switch might let your FC3 machine do a Full
Duplex connection to the switch, but if the Linksys is only
Half-Duplex (while it SHOULD work fine) then having the FC3 at FD
might not make a difference too.

Just some things to think about.

--

David
Registered Linux User 383030 (since everyone else was doing it 8-)