yum contacting www.redhat.com

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 18:53:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:43:58 -0600, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> Yum does not manage/check the gpg keys.  The RPM process yum runs in the
> background checks the gpg key, and then it can do so only after the user
> has explicitly used rpm to import the key to the local rpm system.

Can you please explain this cron output to me, then?  I'm not
understanding what's going on in light of what you're saying:

/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron:

warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 1ac70ce6
public key not available for fortune-mod-1.99.1-2.i386.rpm
Retrieving GPG key from
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/RPM-GPG-KEY-Fedora-Extras
Importing GPG key 0x1AC70CE6 "Fedora Pre Extras Release
<pre-extras at fedoraproject.org>"

The commands that are being executed are these:

        /usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum
        /usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0 -y update

Out of /etc/cron.daily/yum.

Note that I had already imported the public key for Fedora Extras to
install the fortune-mod package that was updated by yum.  Why does yum
appear to be downloading and installing a new key?

Thanks!

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown