Gnome vs KDE

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 21 19:07:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:55:47 -0500
Phil Labonte <plabonte at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using Gnome with Fedora since Core1
> I have loaded and used KDE just to check it out...
> My question is this to the list of experienced users;
> What is better for use as a Desktop system; KDE or Gnome?

That's a question that only you can really answer, since both Gnome and
KDE do about the same thing from an end user's point of view.

I use Gnome, at the moment, because I use mostly Gnome applications and/or
applications using the GTK toolkit. So it makes sense for me to use the
Gnome desktop, since I'll have a lot of that stuff loaded into memory
ANYWAY.  The olny complaint I really have about the Gnome environment is
the default window manager (metacity) is too brain-dead for my
tastes - in particular the way it handles small screens (like you would
find on a subnotebook) and large windows.  You can't drag a window off
the TOP of the screen so you can get at buttons on the bottom.  This
severely hampers usability on subnotebooks.

If you like/use a lot of KDE applications, then it probably makes more
sense for you to use KDE.

The bottom line:  Use whicever one you like best. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!