Config check for box swith two nics

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Mar 21 19:12:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 11:06 -0500, GPL wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:17:43 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 15:26 -0500, GPL wrote:
> > > I am working with a box that has two nics. I want the PUBLIC interface
> > > to use two of my external DNS servers and the INTERNAL interface to
> > > use two of my internal DNS servers. This is not a router as I have not
> > > turned routing on. Not sure my resolv.conf is right. When I try to
> > > ping an internal host by just host name and FQDN it fails. Fine by IP.
> > > Ping by name on Internet side fine.
> > >
> > > My /etc/hosts:
> > >
> > > 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> > > 10.192.0.200    windmere.internaldomain.com windmere
> > > 208.x.x.x   windmere.externaldomain.com    windmere
> >
> > Perhaps what you actually want to do is not what you think you want to
> > do.
> >
> > Is it really that you want this box to be able to use internal servers
> > for lookups in the internaldomain.com domain (and maybe rDNS lookups for
> > the 10.x.x.x network), and external servers for everything else?
> >
> > This is perfectly possible and I do it on my own home network.
>

> Thank you for the reply.
> I may have been over thinking this. My internal DNS will resolve names
> on the internal net and external net. I think now in the way I have
> been reading the responses to this thread that I feel better about my
> understanding of this process.
>
> One thing though regarding the hosts file:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 10.192.0.200    windmere.internaldomain.com windmere
> 208.x.x.x   windmere.externaldomain.com    windmere
>
> Is it bad practice to give the box two FQDNs per network? Would I
> experience any negative repercussions from approaching the setup in
> this manner?

You have 2 different IP addresses for the short name, but only one for
the FQDN.
Thus, the short name will be resolved with the first one found, the FQDN
will be resolved with the first one that matches.

IOW, the first matching name found will be the resolution given.  If the
IPs are different and the hostnames are different it will resolve as
expected.  If the hostnames are the same and the IPs are different it
may not resolve as expected..