DLink DWL-650 woes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 21 19:13:25 UTC 2005

steven ney wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am trying to get a PCI/PCMCIA D-Link DWL 650 (rev J3) card to work on
> both my Fedora C3 desktop (PIII, 700MHz, 512M) and my Thinkpad X20. Both
> machines recognise the card/ chipset (Intersil Prism II) but after
> configuring the wlan connection (as an adhoc network), I can't activate
> the wlan network on the desktop. What is more, the error message flashes
> past so quickly that I can only make out it is allegedly not getting the
> MAC number its expecting. (As you probably can tell, I'm a noob)
>
> I have looked through the fora and have not found anything on this card
> and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I used to have one of those.  Does iwconfig show the card?  If so,
then the problem has to do with the /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file.
There's no entry that matches the D-Link's MAC address.

You can bypass that by using the iwconfig commands directly or by
using system-config-network to set them up.
-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -