Panic! cant' log on to linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 22 00:16:50 UTC 2005

Shelagh Manton wrote:
> Hello people,
> recently I've been trying to get on to the net using an adsl usb modem.
> This may be relevant because of course config files get altered. But
> everything was going swimmingly (except not actually being able to get
> on the net with the modem!) when I rebooted from windows to try out some
> new bits of information and  the nvidia splash screen kept popping up.
> So I said to myself, go back to the old nvidia config without Open gl
> and see hwat happens. So I got out he manula for Ltools and had a look
> at the XF86config file and I had backed up the origianl file so canged
> that around. However I still can't login, this time no splash screen
> pops up but the monitor turns off and on  and in between  there is a
> message on the prompt about null tty  (but its so quick I can't read it
> fast enough)
> Now I know I can access the files with Ltools but I don't know what to
> change)
> Any ideas!

Try booting in single user mode, then run

	system-config-display --reconfig

to fix your X setup.  If you don't know how to boot in single user mode:

1. Select your kernel from the grub display and hit "e".

2. Scroll down to the line that starts with "kernel" and hit "e" again.

3. Add " single" to the end of the line (yes, a space, then the word
"single") and hit ENTER.

4. Hit "b" to boot.

The system will boot up to a "#" root command prompt.  Run the
"system-config-display --reconfig" command at the "#" prompt.  When
you're done, type in "exit" at the "#" prompt and the system should
reboot back to GUI mode.
-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -